_

February 11, 2014

HEART, SOUL, AND A LITTLE ROCK AND ROLL

Have you ever wanted to try something new, different, a little trendy, yet old fashion? Something that can make a frown turn upside down?
Pick up one of these...

Easy to pack along, fun for all ages; the versatile ukulele has seen a jump in popularity over the last 15 to 20 years.

The little musical prop has appeared in many Hollywood movies since it's hey day in the 1920's, and has been showing up in current movies, too. (See +Humble Uker below for a list of movies going back to 1923!)

This one is a fun movie scene featuring a ukulele. It is from Some Like It Hot, with Marilyn Monroe.



I picked up my first ukulele as a child, thumping and singing as any 4 year old might.  It would be over 4 decades before a little uke would enter my life again.

Following an injury that left my right hand with nerve damage and my knee and ankle twisted, I needed therapy; not just for health, but something to bring me back from despair and make me happy.
One day my sweet husband brought home a ukulele for me.
It worked; my hand regained strength, my heart laughed and my feet danced!

Only 4 strings to tune, with a high G, C, E and A, the ukulele is a great instrument to play along with a banjo to blue grass, or played softly for a sleepy baby, or rock a Beatles' tune, or play in a +jug band!

There are three ukuleles in my life,



My Little Soprano


The Banjolele


Rockin' Electric Tenor


I admit to being a closet player, making up my own tunes, following samples from you tube, and searching out old sheet music.
There will be a day that I get up in front of others and through my comfort zone out the window, but for now I am happy to make music and have my parakeet sing along with me.

More about ukuleles and people who have played them, check out these links:

Here is a site that is a real delight, Ukulele Ike (1895 to 1971) A little history about a man who most remember as Jiminy Cricket.

Here is a link to movies with ukuleles.

+Doctor Uke - A great site for just about everything!

Beatles' songs for Ukulele

+Humble Uker Ramblings - More great uke stories, songs, tips, and links.

So what are you waiting for? Go get yourself a Ukulele and join the fun!



Until next time,
Deb

No comments: