_

January 23, 2014

Fixing up the Fixer Upper!

Hi All!
Remember back on January 8th, when I started working on my studio?
Well, I have been side tracked working on another part of my home.
My husband and I bought our home 3 years ago and have been repairing and fixing up the major stuff.  I had time to paint the walls and put drapes up; upgrade started the beginning of December. 

I would like to introduce you to the 1968 time capsule I call my living room. 


Yes, gold carpet, and since it was top of the line in the day, it was still in pretty good, but ugly, shape.


Front door, located in the corner behind a glass cube wall, and a marble tile floor!


Six foot slider and an eight foot picture window facing the deck, and a matching eight foot picture window faces the front.  All are single pane glass and not very energy friendly.


Window and slider out and ready for new double pane windows!



 Front window demo for new front door placement.  



The glass wall is next.


After clean up and repainting, I started painting the window casings and trim.



The first coat of paint is a mix of:
8 ounces Valspar, Sea Lion Brown to 4 tablespoons of Plaster of Paris, mixed with water
Second coat is dry brushed, leaving some of the under coat to show through:
8 ounces Valspar, Brooklyn Brownstone to 4 tablespoons of Plaster of Paris, mixed with water
Third coat is a very dry brushing of dark grey/black satin paint.


Once totally dry, I worked a small section of Annie Sloan clear wax,
followed by the dark wax, over the painted surface.
(I like to make my own colors of chalk paint using the above formula, 
but I can’t beat the results of the Annie Sloan wax combo.)


Finished casings with a faux oak appearance.


Before and after of the MDF trim used for the window surrounds using the same technique.



This is where I am today:
Gold carpet - gone
Hardwood floor - delivered tomorrow
Painting the hall - tomorrow
Install new floor - Monday

Check back over the next week for more pictures and updates on the living room make over.
Now that the dust has settled, I promise to get back to the studio!
Until next time, 
Deb. 

No comments: