_

October 9, 2014

OUT WITH THE OLD AND IN WITH OLDER (WAYS OF THINKING)!

Hi All!
I have something fun to announce.
I will be launching a new website featuring a fresh and natural approach to life, fun, food and gatherings. There might even be a few tips from my Grannies and guest contributors from the local region.
Meanwhile, here is something to boost your fall energy level.

I have been enjoying the cooler Fall weather and prepping my home for  the holidays that are just around the corner.
One bad thing that I have been guilty of is giving into temptation at the grocery store.
Isles filled with Halloween candy; and yes, I bought several bags. Somehow, they open themselves and tiny wrappers fell like the leaves from the trees.
So to curb the damage that was gobbled down, I started a Fall meal plan that includes a protein fiber packed breakfast.

This recipe makes 2 16 ounce  glasses  with approximately 250 calories each. It was a good way of bringing Kale into my life, plus it satisfies my sweet tooth, too!  It is low in fat and sustains my hunger for 4 to 6 hours. I follow it with lunch of a raw carrot and maybe hummus, or an apple and some almond butter, then a veggie packed dinner.
I hope you try this yummy way to make a breakfast smoothie.

Kale Smoothie
1/4    Cup of Raw Oats
1/4    Cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
1/4    Cup of Blueberries (I freeze mine on a cookie sheet, then bag them for longer use)
1/4    Cup Yogurt (I like Choboni because it has zero fat and is thick and creamy)
1/2    Cup Fruit Juice (I like apple, berry, cherry because it is sweet with natural flavors, no sugar)
1       Cup of Organic Kale, roughly chopped (approx. 3 to 4 stalks)
1       Medium banana 
1 1/2 Cups of Ice
Cinnamon to taste

In a high speed blender, use low speed to mixed well, then high to grind the oats, ice, seeds and kale so it can be sipped through a straw. Why a straw? Well, just about everything is better when you have a bendy straw. 
You can share the remaining 16 ounces, or put it in an air tight container for the next day. (The color will change over night due to the banana) 
Enjoy Fall, and don't let the candy goblins get you!

Until next time,
Deb 
 


No comments: